Re: NeXT GNU Homage Project Work

From: Maxthon Chan
Subject: Re: NeXT GNU Homage Project Work
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 17:02:46 +0800

We probably need to rearrange libraries a bit since the current layering is
just too messy.

Foundation technology stack: libc -> libobjc (implement NSObject here) ->
gnustep-corebase (with TFB classes implemented here) -> gnustep-base
Graphics technology stack: EGL (my suggestion) or gnustep-metal -> gnustep-qe
-> gnustep-opal -> gnustep-gui
Audio technology stack: ALSA -> gnustep-coreaudio (with Audio Units)

Using Qt will result in Qt interfacing code being embedded deep into
gnustep-gui (NSWindow at least, maybe even GUI elements) which may break some
OS X apps that uses QC or CG to draw their own UI elements. EGL is a few layers
lower and actually maps to the layer of OpenGLES that QC on iOS works on so we
can just build the graphics stack iOS style.