Re: Lotus Improv

From: Dr Tomaž Slivnik
Subject: Re: Lotus Improv
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 19:08:18 +0000

On 20 Nov 2015, at 02:17, Gregory Casamento wrote:

> It's amazing that I didn't know about this emulator. For years I thought the
> only game in town for next emulation was mess.

You can download the latest version here, the developer is Andreas Grabher:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44703754/Previous_1.3.zip

It's really remarkably feature-complete.

> What you're referring to wrt Rosetta is a dynamic recompiler. It would also
> need a kernel plug-in to run to make it seem less in the sense that it would
> start the recompiler whenever an executable of a given type of executable was
> invoked. We have something like this called darling which is essentially a
> Mach-o binary loader which used the GNUstep libraries to run Mac OS X
> executables. The project shows much promise but is not ready for production
> as of yet (Lubos correct me wherever you see fit).

I think you could also just make an emulator, interpreting and executing 680x0
instructions one at a time, the performance wouldn't be so great, but with the
speed of modern hardware, I'm not sure it would necessarily be a problem.