Re: Plans for ahead

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Plans for ahead
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 00:00:56 -0500

Liam,

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 10:35 AM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29 November 2015 at 22:51, Riccardo Mottola
> <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:
>> I agree on that statement! the problem is that the whole thread here shows
>> that nobody here agrees with the other one on how to improve it. Some say
>> look, some say application, some say configuration tools, some want this,
>> that, whatever.

Actually, I think Riccardo's assertion is utterly wrong and foments
confusion.   I don't think there's much disagreement on many of the
points which were raised.

> And that is the key thing.
>
> If we can get more exposure for GNUstep, get it in front of more
> people, get it better known, then it will get more interest, more code
> contributions, more development.
>
> I don't want to change it. Improve it, yes. Change it, no.
>
> I am not a programmer. I am not at all interested in the programming
> tools or the use of GNUstep as a framework. That is for others who
> know and care about such things.
>
> I'm in part interested in it because it looks like NeXTstep, and I
> think NeXTstep is the best-looking desktop there has ever been. So I
> am strongly opposed to those who want new themes: I think it already
> is nearly perfect and all the alternative themes are less attractive,
> to me.

GNUstep's NeXT look and roots will never disappear, ever.   What I am
advocating is a better, redesigned and improved look for GNUstep.
I'm thinking something like NeXT would have done today.   I believe
that conveys the meaning.

> What I suggest is just getting it running well on Ubuntu. I'm not
> really interested in Debian or any other distros, and less interested
> in other OSes. Not that I do not want it to work on them -- I very
> much do -- but I like and favour Ubuntu.
>
> I want to make an Ubuntu GNUstep remix. Not a live CD -- there is less
> need for those now that we have VMs.
>
> I do have a Raspberry Pi; I run RISC OS on it. I am not remotely
> interested in PiStep, or NeXT-shaped Pi cases. Frankly they sound
> silly to me. As a GNU project, a kickstarter seems strange and
> irrelevant to me, but hey, people need paying for their efforts. I am
> not interested in running GNUstep on $DISTRO on Raspberry Pi, because
> my Pi is the least powerful, least capable modern computer I own;
> everything else is faster, has more storage, is more expandable, etc.

I think piOS is interesting because it uses GNUstep and we have a
group of people who are genuinely interested in helping to make things
using our stuff.   Beggars cannot be choosers.