Re: Please, no GitHub

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Please, no GitHub
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 21:57:49 -0500

Maxthon,

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 4:32 AM, Maxthon Chan <xcvista@me.com> wrote:
< snipped for brevity... >

> They exposed **every single** site functionality through the API (in fact,
> the Web interface itself uses the API to do its business, so it is safe to
> say that https://github.com/ is no more than one of the several available
> front-ends for https://api.github.com/) so https://api.github.com/ is
> satisfying this criteria.

I believe you are egregiously and entirely missing the point regarding
what Richard is saying.  Whether or not GitHub exposes the
functionality of the site via the API is COPLETELY immaterial to the
argument regarding whether or not it should be used according to the
FSF's rules.

GitHub as a whole does not satisfy their criteria and that is what the
argument is about.

The unfortunate part of this is that GitHub has been successful at
achieving a great deal of notoriety and going anywhere else would be
considered "obscure."

> Their website and API are license-blind. Github have a “choose a
> license” website that put GPL at the same level of recommendation as
> Apache 2.0 and MIT/X11 license. Due to **practical reasons** people
> are **avoiding** GPLv3 (you may need to check the reason why folks
> are doing this, or GPLv3 will soon become the license of past,) so their
> recommendation is GPLv2+ for GPL.

I'm wondering where you get this impression.  GPLv3 is not being
avoided by any means:

http://techrights.org/2007/10/27/gplv3-growth-palamida/
http://www.cnet.com/news/gplv3-hits-50-percent-adoption/

A person is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts.
The fact of the matter is, GPLv3 is extremely relevant when it comes
to fighting patents as well as many other things.   While I,
personally, am no fan of it's incompatibility with GPLv2 (as it
adversely impacts some GNUstep apps due to those authors being
unwilling to re-license or even add a "or later") I do understand what
it's purpose is and why it's important.   So, please, don't lie to
yourself or spread misinformation about it being a "thing of the past"
as it certainly isn't.

GC
--
Gregory Casamento