Re: GDL2: prototypes and EOAttribute.m

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: GDL2: prototypes and EOAttribute.m
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2017 08:42:09 -0700

yes, EOModel/EOEntity/EOAttribute do not inherit from EOCustomObject,

previously, there was no need to inherit from EOCustomObject, as in
you could take any type of NSObject, add some categories to it, and
have a working thing you could use with EOF...

If you look at the documentation for WO 4.5

http://mirror.informatimago.com/next/developer.apple.com/documentation/LegacyTechnologies/WebObjects/WebObjects_4.5/System/Library/Frameworks/EOControl.framework/ObjC_classic/Protocols/EOEnterpriseObject.html#//apple_ref/occ/intfm/EOEnterpriseObject/awakeFromInsertionInEditingContext:

"NSObject's implementation merely sends ..."
for some reason I never fully understood, why this was changed,
the ChangeLog says:

        * EOControl/EOEditingContext.m: remove hacks, adapt to EOCustomObject
        * EOControl/EOCustomObject.h/m: added code here

I consider these real failures, since the removal of the hacks, gdl2
no longer even conforms to the class hierarchy e.g..

http://mirror.informatimago.com/next/developer.apple.com/documentation/LegacyTechnologies/WebObjects/WebObjects_4.5/System/Library/Frameworks/EOControl.framework/Java/Classes/EOClassDescription.html

https://github.com/gnustep/gdl2/commit/51b22fda000b1046a5443d956b0be951da000381

my opinion would be to revert the patch.