Re: GNUstep and valgrind

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep and valgrind
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 09:22:45 +0000

> On 13 Mar 2018, at 23:53, amon <amon@vnl.com> wrote:
>
> Perhaps someone can tell me if my guess on the following is
> correct. After an afternoon of trying to figure out where the
> large number of leaks reported by valgrind were coming from, I
> went all the way back to basics. What it seems to show is that
> the GNUStep run time allocates a bunch of stuff at start up and
> never clears it.

Yes, there's a whole lot of stuff cached ... not just on startup but also on
demand (ie the first time the program uses some feature).

If you look at the NSObject extensions documentation (or the
GNUstep/NSObject+GNUstepBase.h header) you will see festures for handling
cleanup of that sort of thing on process exit.
Be aware though that, because it's normally a bad idea to explicitly free stuff
on exit, cleanup is not normally enabled (with the +setShouldCleanUp: method or
the GNUSTEP_SHOULD_CLEAN_UP environment variable) so it's a relatively untested
feature and is definitely incomplete (many classes that could support cleanup
of their cached information just don't implement it).
If you are interested in contributing additional cleanup code it would be
welcome for those cases where people want to use valgrind on processes that
terminate.
Mostly I deal with code that runs 24x7 so cleanup of cached memory is not an
issue and I only worry about actual leaks,  but it's reassuring to have
valgrind tell you that a process frees all memory before exit anyway.