Trouble building base with clang

From: Philip George
Subject: Trouble building base with clang
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 18:46:06 -0400

Steppers,

I'm stuck trying to build GNUstep using clang on Raspbian 9 (Debian) running on ARM 7.

Here is the guide I'm using (which even after a couple of years is still pretty good, save for a couple of caveats due to changes since its publication)...

I've successfully built and installed all of the prereq's (boehm-gc, gnustep-make & libobjc2) using clang.

The base project fails however when it gets to 'Tools/autogsdoc'.

Here's the configure/make pair I used to kick off the libs-base build using clang:

./configure CC=clang CXX=clang++ LD=gcc
make CC=clang CXX=clang++ LD=gcc messages=yes

It does great for a while, but then suddenly/inexplicably for 'Tools/autogsdoc', it switches from using clang to using gcc.

gcc then of course barfs the moment it sees a clang-specific flag it doesn't recognize.

So the question is: Why did it suddenly switch to gcc after a half hour or so purring along with clang?

I looked thru the makefiles but it's not jumping out at me, but then again that means nothing since I haven't worked on a makefile-based project in years. Whatever comes after 'rusty'... that's what I am re: makefiles.

Thanks/cheers.
Philip