Latest GNUstep on Solaris 10

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Latest GNUstep on Solaris 10
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 18:12:30 +0200

Hi Riccardo,

On 30 Apr 2018, at 16:54, Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:

These kind of problems made me stick to Solaris and MacOSX for so long. Both just worked. This Linux crap gives me a hard time .. :-(

I understand and share the feeling. There is some sort of hurdle which Linux continues to have even if a great deal of complication got added.

Solaris is now just a niche server OS, since there are no more workstations.

If you still have it somewhere though, I created and try to maintain several gnustep packages for it! I never announced it because I still miss some packages, howver, check on https://www.opencsw.org/ All the "core" stuff is there, I am in the process of upgrading the rest.

gnustep_back0.26.0,REV=2018.04.29GNUstep-core back
gnustep_base1.25.1,REV=2018.03.26GNUstep-core base
gnustep_gui0.26.2,REV=2018.04.28GNUstep-core gui
gnustep_make2.7.0,REV=2018.01.30GNUstep-core make

How is the state of your GNUstep packages for Solaris? Do you still maintain them? Now that I have got friends with the most recent GNUstep release on Ubuntu I would like to build the sources on Solaris 10 (latest release) as well (still have a couple of boxes running this niche OS). I assume the prerequisites have changed significantly to those I used for my ancient tree. Do you have a recipe (list of steps) (CSW packages to install, source to build) before one can build the current GNUstep sources? Alternatively I probably could just install your packages but I like to have the GNUstep sources at hand (build able) in order to be able to work on issues should any arise.

Thanks a lot,

 Andreas