dmca-activists

[DMCA-Activists] Re: [fsl-discuss] DC 7/17: Public Workshop on Digital

From: tom poe
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Re: [fsl-discuss] DC 7/17: Public Workshop on Digital Entertainment and "Rights Management"
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 11:45:10 -0700

Hi: If we accept the following as their purpose and goals, as stated in the Register briefing at the link you provided:
"Technology Administration is authorized, among
other things, to conduct technology policy analyses to improve United
States industrial productivity, technology, and innovation, cooperate
with United States industry in the improvement of its productivity,
technology, and ability to compete successfully in world markets, and
identify technological needs, problems, and opportunities within and
across industrial sectors, that, if addressed, could make a significant
contribution to the economy of the United States."
- - - "to gather information on the availability of
digital entertainment and status of copyright protection and rights
management tools. The discussions will help gather data on such issues
as the strength, weaknesses and availability of technological
solutions, as well as network capability, and the proper role for the
Government in facilitating solutions that are best for innovation and
best for consumers."

Then a statement regarding "consumers" would be real important.
1] "Consumers" is not an appropriate word to use in light of the fact that in the last five years, technology advancements have provided each and every individual with the opportunity to participate as both "producer/consumer", and any Technology Administration policies should reflect such a distinction. 2] The present efforts by the Entertainment Industry and the present status of copyright protection and rights management tools deliberately and with conscious awareness seek to prevent and criminalize individual participation in our nation's economy, other than as passive purchasers of obsolete and narrowly constricted technological products and services. 3] The Technology Administration is supporting old business models by not permitting the most important contributors to our country's future economy to participate in the workshops beyond that of a "listener".

Have fun. Enjoy. Take copious notes, and broadcast every statement you can capture across the land. I look forward to learning what you found.
Thanks,
Tom Poe
Reno, NV

Seth Johnson wrote:
Particulars of a Commerce Department "Public Workshop" on
digital restrictions management this July 17th are pasted
below.

I am going to this thing.  Who else?

Hands up.  I've heard from Jay Sulzberger, Richard Stallman
and Ruben Safir.  Kevin Marks wishes he could, but he's
across the continent.

Let me know, and I'll build the cc list or make a discussion
group.

I just called the number in the notice.  The woman who
answered gave me the following list of panelists, which is
not listed on the site.  I am not sure of the spelling on
these, and that may go so far as mishearing consonants:

  - Vic McCleary
  - JACK!
  - Rhett Dawson
  - Joe Tasker
  - Mitch Glazier
  - John Potter
  - Stewart Verdery

She asked if I had looked at the website when I asked for
the industry affiliations of these participants.  I said I
would look and might call back.  I found nothing further
(not even the list of panelists), so I called her back.  She
took my number and said she would have Chris Israel call me
back.  She said the room holds about 80 people.

I want to ask whether they will be accepting written
briefs.  Kevin Marks:  You want to do something like that?

More in subsequent messages.

Seth Johnson

http://makeashorterlink.com/?A1EC62531

SUMMARY: The United States Department of Commerce Technology
Administration (TA) announces a public workshop on digital
entertainment and its availability to consumers. The
workshop will help gather data on such issues as the status
of technical standards that provide the framework necessary
to enable legitimate digital media distribution and the
present state of strengths, weaknesses and availability of
current and imminent technological solutions to protect
digital content, barriers that are inhibiting movies, music
and games from coming online.

DATES: This workshop will be held on July 17, 2002, from 1
p.m.-4 p.m.

ADDRESSES: The workshop will be held at the Herbert C.
Hoover Building, 1401 Constitution Avenue, NW., Room 4830,
Washington, DC. Entrance on 14th between Pennsylvania and
Constitution Aves., NW.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Further information
relevant to the substantive issues to be addressed by this
workshop may be obtained from Chris Israel Deputy Assistant
Secretary for Technology Policy, Technology Administration,
(202) 482-5687. Limited seating will be available to members
of the general public. It is recommended that persons
wishing to become general public attendees arrive early, as
seating will be first come, first served.

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: Pursuant to its statutory
authority found at 15 U.S.C. 3704(c), the Technology
Administration is authorized, among other things, to conduct
technology policy analyses to improve United States
industrial productivity, technology, and innovation,
cooperate with United States industry in the improvement of
its productivity, technology, and ability to compete
successfully in world markets, and identify technological
needs, problems, and opportunities within and across
industrial sectors, that, if addressed, could make a
significant contribution to the economy of the United
States.

     With these responsibilities in mind, the Technology
Administration is planning on holding a moderated series of
informal discussions with relevant stakeholders to gather
information on the availability of digital entertainment and
status of copyright protection and rights management tools.
The discussions will help gather data on such issues as the
strength, weaknesses and availability of technological
solutions, as well as network capability, and the proper
role for the Government in facilitating solutions that are
best for innovation and best for consumers.

     Topics to be addressed at the workshop include:

[rtrif] The effectiveness of efforts to pursue technical
standards or solutions that are designed to provide a more
predictable and secure environment for digital transmission
of copyright material;

[rtrif] Major obstacles facing an open commercial exchange
of digital content;

[rtrif] What a future framework for success might entail;

[rtrif] Current consumer attitude towards online
entertainment.

     The workshop will focus on these and other related
issues. Anyone wishing to comment on these or raise related
issues is free to do so, either in writing before the
meeting, or in person at the meeting. Prior comments will be
collected via the Technology Administration Web
site--www.ta.doc.gov/<http://www.ta.doc.gov/. and are
requested by July 11, 2002.

     Authority: This work effort is being initiated
pursuant to TA's statutory responsibilities, codified at
section 3704 of Title 15 of the United States Code.

     Dated: June 28, 2002.

Phillip J. Bond,
Undersecretary of Commerce for Technology.
[FR Doc. 02-16740 Filed 7-2-02; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 3510-18-M

--
http://www.studioforrecording.org/
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/