dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]Okay, so how about some code...

From: Mason Ham
Subject: Re: [Auth]Okay, so how about some code...
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 15:22:33 -0400

Yeah, you guys are right about the LDAP issue. That was one in the plus for
DBs :-)
As for the encrypt or not encrypt, again as with different parts of the
system, we left it up the Auth. provider. If system uses encryption to store
the data, there is actually a location to store member specific data
encryption keys in the database. This key is then used to encrypt the data
the user has. Then, it would be a no brainer for us to down the road write a
"module" that will let us decrypt with the users private key and re-encrypt
with the sites public key. This way the data can flow through and be secure
as long as the system that is running the decrypt/re-encrypt module.
On the note of the data being transmitted. The system actually assumes that
the end user has gone in and given rights to the site to get the data. More
specifically, the site specifies what data it is looking for (there is a
grouping/role based request as well as individual item). This is also where
the use of a database over say ldap came in. We have types that are stored
in the database. Thus a site can no ahead of time that they want to put
custom fields into a known server. The example here is that a site decides
that it wants to use only a certain server for authentication. This server
then can house different pieces based on the site that is being used. This
is more of an "enterprise" feature when the web services is being used with
a private uddi server.

Mason

PS I site not to me a web site, but