dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]Okay, so how about some code...

From: Mason Ham
Subject: Re: [Auth]Okay, so how about some code...
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 14:01:09 -0400

Okay, just to be clear on this. Here is the world that I have seen:
1) If the end site can make a decision on a piece of data that is more than
"does it exist", then that data is no longer opaque to the site... how else
did it make a decision on it in the first place.
2) The auth. system is different from the personalization system. If the
site only needs to get information from the site that says say first name,
and the site wants to display the saying that is first name, then it will
have to render the first name on the screen. That means that the data is no
longer opaque.
3) Data mining or not data mining is a business issue. If the end user knows
that the site is going to warehouse data and still the end user says "yes
send the info." we shouldn't get in the way of that. This at least is how
the system that we have works. What we do instead is place the user in
control by letting them "know before they go". This is what I think make the
difference. The use, with out having to go to the site first, can no, by
going to one of the auth. servers for the site, what data that site is going
to need. We also have grouping for what sites are going to do. That is, a
site falls into different "pledge" categories. These are things like "will
not warehouse", "will warehouse, but  not sell", etc. The absence of a
pledge is a "buyer be ware pledge".

Soooo... I am not sure that this answers all the questions, but it should
give a little more insight in to what we thought were good and appropriate
trade off's.

One final thing, I am not saying this is the way the system has to stay,
only that it is the way the system is, and we did actually take quite some
time trying to get the balance between "pie in the sky" and "real world"
right, and this is the balance that we chose, nothing more and nothing less.
The only thing that we were sure of when we build the system was the we
where wrong, and so we made it as flexible as possible given technology,
time and people constraints.

Mason