[DotGNU]Proposed change to DG standard dir structure

From: Peter Minten
Subject: [DotGNU]Proposed change to DG standard dir structure
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 16:37:59 +0200

Hi,

I'm currently busy setting up the DotGNU standard dir structure for some
projects and I found something a part of the dir structure rather anoying.
According to Rhys document I should build the source dir like this:
/packagename/namespace/namespace/namespace . The problem is that even for a very
simple application with only a top level namespace the real data is buried two
levels deep which is irritating when cd-ing. If the standard dir structure could
be modified so that the top level namespace files are in the /packagename
directory that irritation would be solved.

Also it's to be noticed that pnetlib doesn't follow this directory structure in
the System and System.Xml assemblies, for example Uri.cs is filed under
/System/Uri.cs instead of under /System/System/Uri.cs where it should belong
according to the document. DotGNU-Base doesn't follow the rule either (which is
my mistake, but it shows how bogus the rule is). Since it's quite hard to change
dir structures once they are made I would like to propose changing the standard.

Greetings,

Peter