Re: [DotGNU]Proposed change to DG standard dir structure

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Proposed change to DG standard dir structure
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 10:33:34 +1000

Peter Minten wrote:

> If the standard dir structure could
> be modified so that the top level namespace files are in the /packagename
> directory that irritation would be solved.

And create other irritations.  How would you lay out a package
that has multiple top-level namespaces?  The new directory
structure wasn't designed to reduce irritation.  It was designed
to be consistent.

Perhaps you are objecting to "packagename/DotGNU/Base/Blah.cs".
We could adapt that to "packagename/DotGNU.Base/Blah.cs", following
the same approach that Mono does, but then it would be inconsistent
with other DotGNU projects.  Personally, I find this irritating:

  mcs/class/System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Soap/System.
         Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Soap/SoapReader.cs

No matter what we choose, it will irritate someone, somewhere.

> Also it's to be noticed that pnetlib doesn't follow this directory structure
> in

pnetlib should not be used as an example of anything.  It was
a mistake to lay things out as I did.  e.g. the debate over
where to put the "Platform" classes in the "System" assembly.
But it is too late to change the structure now.  Moving and
renaming directories is not possible with CVS, so we are kind
of stuck with it.

A few shell aliases like "cdmyproj" will reduce your level
of irritation.  It is important that consistency be maintained.

Cheers,

Rhys.