[DotGNU]Pattern Matching in System.IO.Directory

From: Charles Shuller
Subject: [DotGNU]Pattern Matching in System.IO.Directory
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 15:10:41 -0600

Several of the GetFile* functions actually accept a string called 'Pattern'. Unless I'm missing something, there is no real definition for how pattern should work, but the spec implies, when it states path seperators are not allowed, that the Pattern is a generic 'GLOB' thing. For instance, foo.* or *.bar or ?oo.bar.

I would much rather implement a full blown regexp implementation, using libc's backing regexp library. I think it will be far more usefull to anyone actually using it, plus, it will still behave as expected for the simpler version outlined above. Just not throw an exception if a path seperator is included(as a path seperator in Windows could be an escape character for regexp)

Does anyone have any problems with this? Do we need to supply a strictly conformant mode somehow? (I'm thinking no on the later, as strictly conforming applications will still behave as expected).

--
Charles Shuller
Jabber ID: address@hidden