Re: [DotGNU]Re: [Mono-list] Mono / C# on PDAs

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: [Mono-list] Mono / C# on PDAs
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 23:21:21 +0530

If memory serves me right, Adam Treat wrote:
>  I've been told that  DotGNU/Portable.NET has a working ARM port of
>  ilrun, which also works with Qt#.

It did last July ... but dunno about now or current CVS .. See attached
chatlog I had with the guy who tested it on his embedded linux ARM palmtop.

Pnet ran a hello world 10k stack and 200k heap  (for IL) with a full
build then .. should be a lot smaller for a trimmed down build ...

>  I would love to see a Qt# application  running on the zaurus!

If libffi does not work in ARM ... PInvoke is out of the way... Still
someone can write a new ilrun.c embedding QT as a set of internal calls.
And avoid the hassle of porting libffi ...

This is more relevant now that the ilinternal tool can generate the
correct marshalling code with C , rather than depend on libffi support.
And we can attach internal call tables to the engine at runtime as well..

> > especially if it would support jitted code.

Pnet has a JIT ... but not a native JIT ... pnet JITs IL into a simpler
non-polymorphic code called CVM ... Which is a lot faster to run than
the direct IL interpreters ...

> > special mobile .NET version (stripped down runtime libraries, don't

Hmm.... maybe someone should fix the pnetlib/profiles/tiny section
to actually work :-)

Gopal