Re: [DotGNU]Unhandled Exception: System.Security.Policy.PolicyException

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Unhandled Exception: System.Security.Policy.PolicyException
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 22:48:07 +0530

If memory serves me right, Josh Boudreau wrote:
> The Windows system is Windows 2000 with .NET Framework v1.0.3705

New Win2k has restrictions on running .NET assemblies ? ...
IIRC, Rhys had no problems with his Win2k test-build machine with
.NET ... (Administrator privileges ?)..

> Remarks
> This exception is typically thrown when the code requests more permissions
> than
> the policy will grant or the policy is configured to prohibit running the
> code.

So this may need some work on the Code Access Security which .NET has ...

Hmm... could be just about runtime/System/Security/Permissions/ .... but
well ... how does this work ? ... are there any specs anywhere ? (anyone ?)..

> H:\>helloworld.exe
> Unhandled Exception: System.Security.Policy.PolicyException: Unverifiable
> assembly
> 'H:\helloworld.exe' failed policy check.

The error message says 2 things to me ... 1) Our bytecode was read and
loaded correctly  2) we need someone to work on System.Security.Permissions.

if not for 1) it would have thrown a VerificationException ....
and we all know about 2) ...

Gopal
PS: the word "Policy check failed" sounds ominous ...