[DotGNU]What languages should DotGNU support?

From: Peter Minten
Subject: [DotGNU]What languages should DotGNU support?
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 19:21:07 +0100

Hi folks.

Webservices could be written in all languages, but DotGNU seems to be aimed (at
least to the outside world) at supporting only a few (C#, Java, Perl) and all of
them are compiled to VM's. There is however no good reason to rely purely on
VM's. For example a Ruby script with taint level 4 is at least as secure as a VM
based program. And if that's not enough, you can always hack the interpreter for
more safety.

IMHO we should stop thinking in VM boxes and start allowing all possibilities.
That includes LISP, Python, C++, etc. And we should be able to use the natively
without compiling to VM first.

The big advantage of DotGNU should be that we are flexible in all directions,
including the languages used. We should not disallow C++ simply because it's
hard to safely compile it. If safety is absolutely needed a user can use
paranoid VM's, but most users will not, and we should not force them into using
it.

Greetings,

Peter