Re: [DotGNU]Does cscc need a pedantic mode ?

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Does cscc need a pedantic mode ?
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 07:20:07 +1000

Gopal V wrote:

> Hi All,
>         I've been pestered by marcusU every time I hit IRC with a
> bug which does not affect cscc in any negative way ... IMHO it
> even works the way I want to .. So here is the code
>
> using i32=Int32;
>
> Should this throw an error saying "'Int32' not found" ?..

Yes.  Both MS and ECMA say that it should.  I tried MS'es compiler
and it complains about the above, but not this:

using i32=System.Int32;

i.e. the right hand side of an alias needs to be fully-qualified,
apparently.  Deviating from the specification for something like
this is not recommended.  If we need to completely throw away the
"using" code and start again, then so be it.  Marcus is correct
that your code has a bug.

We should only deviate from the C# specification when compliance
is impossible due to platform factors, some extension feature is
essential for DotGNU language interoperability (e.g. __module),
or the specification itself has a bug.

Changing the behaviour of an ECMA feature because it is a pain
to implement correctly is not a valid excuse.

Cheers,

Rhys.