dotgnu-pnet

Re: [Pnet-developers] Must problems :(

From: Chris Smith
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] Must problems :(
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 20:11:51 +0100

> thanks for your help Smith:

anytime.

> But now when I start the dgadmin the report the error: in the
configuration
> Konow User/group given in configuration
> Error initializating Administrator(Invalid user group)

How have you configured the DGEE ?
It appears that you have missed all the really important steps detailed in
the
README and INSTALL files - Hehe  :o)

------------
(Text from the INSTALL):
-- if you're running the DGEE along with Apache, you'll need it to run
as the same user as Apache, often 'nobody'.

Configuration options:
... snipped ...

--with-username=  The username the DGEE will run as (default nobody)
--with-usergroup= The usergroup the DGEE will run as (default nobody)
------------

I suspect you have not configured the dgee to run as any particular user,
and
so the default of 'nobody' has been assumed.  This means that you MUST
start the DGEE as that user, and configure Apache to run as that user also.

I bet that you're getting this error because the 'nobody' user does not
exist.

Find out what user apache is running as on your system:
----------
(Text from QUICKSTART):
Apache needs to run as either the user who started the DGEE or the DGEE
needs
to run as the Apache user.

The following settings in httpd.conf file are suggested:
User nobody
Group nobody
---------

So have a look at your apache conf file, and look for User and Group.
Then configure DGEE to use the same user and group by doing
address@hidden dgee]$
./configure --with-username=XXX --with-usergroup=YYY --some-more-options-as-
required

Obviously adding any other configuration options you need as well.

Reinstall dgee.
Log in as the user XXX
Run the dgeeenv.sh
Start the dgee

That should then see you working.

(Oh before you start, you will probably need to clear out your IPC resources
using ipcrm  (man ipcs  and ipcrm) as you've no doubt claimed some as the
wrong user - A reboot will make sure they really have been removed :o)

Regards,
Chris