dotgnu-pnet

[Pnet-developers] Re: Fwd: Re: PNET

From: Gopal V
Subject: [Pnet-developers] Re: Fwd: Re: PNET
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:03:07 +0530

If memory serves me right, Robert Johnson wrote:
> I have been corresponding with Norbert about the
> windows installers for PNET and TREECC I created new
> installers (with NSIS) which automatically sets up the
> environment variables and an un-innstaller.

Cool !.... we need something like that all the time :)

> be Done: "This will display a brief message that
> explains what parts of the .NET API should be avoided
> because of the patent issue, and asks users to help
> with developing a good alternative.").

That is hard because it needs you to get an ecma compat
build ... So mention this ...

"""
For compatibility reasons it would be advisable to test
your programs with the ECMA compatible build of portable.net
"""

But that can wait for now ... (until we have an ecma compat
installer package ;)

> If you guys have any suggestions as to the changes if
> any I should make please let me know.

Could you label the Source included installers with the
"-FullSource" suffix ?

Because I saw a 26 Mb package and a 6Mb package the last
time I checked ..... it could confuse people.

> > btw, I've had some success with a Win2K box but want
> > to go through the
> > procedure for an article I'm doing.

*ahem* ... in secret, eh ? ;-)

IIRC, you can build pnet in VC++ with a couple of lines
changed (in il_config.h) ... but your performance will
suffer.

Gopal