dotgnu-pnet

Re: [Pnet-developers] [bug #4430] Internal error: Could not verify the c

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] [bug #4430] Internal error: Could not verify the code - br.s at verify_branch.c:393
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:17:43 +0530

If memory serves me right, address@hidden wrote:

> Original Submission:  There is a very recent bug in the CVS repository :
> although we haven't changed our code generation recently, ilrun/ilverify now
> refuse several of our programs.

Hmmm... is this some kind of huge ternary expression with values kept in
stack through jumps ?.

I've reduced the first error message to the following code

                ldloc.s    40
                br         ?L3735c
        ?L3729c:
                ldloc.s    48
                br.s       ?L3735c
        ?L3733c:
        ?L3735c:
                ret

Ok, so as far as I know , locvars 40 & 48 are non-Assigncompatible ...
ie being of totally different types ....

Try assembling the attached IL file and running it in MS.NET ...

Looks like this is the same bug as my ternary expression bug ....
but looks very much like it ... ie need for CommonType :)
ie the two types merge into a System.Object for want of any other
object type ...

I'll try to work on it tonight :) ... maybe it'll fix the other
bug too ?

> This program runs perfectly with MS VM...

*ahem* , what does PEVerify say about this .exe ?

<debugging tip>

Also Yannis, if you're wondering how I found this from 400k of IL code ,
refer attached patch ;-) . I would advise you to use similar stuff and
ilverify to debug such problems and show up with simple test cases like
the one I've given ... Try the patched ilverify on the other 1.2 Mb
thingy and report back.

</debugging tip>

Gopal