dotgnu-pnet

Re: [Pnet-developers] RFC: GNU gettext support for C#

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] RFC: GNU gettext support for C#
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 07:48:13 +1000

On Wednesday 31 December 2003 12:46 am, Bruno Haible wrote:

> If you want a shortcut, you would define it in each class:
>
>     private static GettextResourceManager res = Util.MyResourceManager;
>     private static String _(String s) { return res.GetString(s); }
>
>   Then the calls look like this:
>
>     Console.WriteLine(_("Completed."));

Seems a little long-winded, having the duplicate the resource stuff in every
class.  What I normally do (in assemblies other than "mscorlib" which is a
special case) is define a class called "S", which takes care of loading the
string resources and defining the "_" method.  Then the idiom is:

    Console.WriteLine(S._("Completed"));

You could define such an "S" class in your C# gettext library, and use
"Assembly.GetCallingAssembly()" to figure out which assembly to fetch gettext
resources for.

Cheers,

Rhys.