dotgnu-sc

[Dotgnu-sc] URGENT proposal to move the DotGNU lists to gnu.org

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: [Dotgnu-sc] URGENT proposal to move the DotGNU lists to gnu.org
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 20:03:43 +0200

I've written up some instructions for Tony and emailed them to
him as he requested, but I find it absolutely incredible how
Tony is treating us here.  When dotgnu.org dotgnu.net and
dotgnu.com were transferred to FreeDevelopers, I made sure that
David Sugar was listed as "technical contact" so that the DotGNU
Steering Committee would be able to make such changes.  However
in the meantime, Tony has changed that, so that now he is the
only contact for the domains.  Now, instead of being able to
simply make an agreed-upon change, we have to write down
instructions for him, which takes much longer, and has a much
greater likelihood of creating wrong results, because now
obviously someone will do it who doesn't know what he's doing
(why else are instructions required?)

I'm also very upset that he has allowed to let the registration
for dotgnu.org lapse, resulting in a breakdown of the DotGNU
mailing lists, even though I had noticed the imminent disaster
several days before dotgnu.org went dead, and written to him
about it.  Tony even responded quickly saying "I will find out
what is going on and get it fixed immediately."  Well, he didn't
get it fixed.

As a temporary fix I've moved the lists to dotgnu.info which I
still hold (together with dotgnu.biz).  However a .info domain
is not a nice place for the lists of a free software project.

In my opinion, using any domain names that are under the control
of Tony / FreeDevelopers.net Inc. simply isn't acceptable
anymore, even if/when dotgnu.org gets renewed.

I propose that we go forward now to move the DotGNU mailing
lists to gnu.org, creating the lists address@hidden
address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden
address@hidden through Savannah.  (We don't need a
address@hidden list because we already have
address@hidden  ).

At the same time, I will remove the note on the website about
DotGNU being "a project of FreeDevelopers".  That is clearly and
definately false now.  I will however add a note instead that
gives FD some credit explaining how the project gained some
initial momentum from discussions on a mailing list of
FreeDevelopers.

Furthermore, I propose that from now on, and at least until
dotgnu.org is transferred to the FSF, in all official
communications only http://www.gnu.org/projects/dotgnu/ should
be used as website address for the DotGNU project.

Please respond quickly to this proposal.  I will put it into
action if it gets explicit support for a majority of the SC,
or no object from any SC member within a week from now.

Greetings, Norbert.