dragora-users

[Dragora-users] eSpeakup on Dragora

From: Thiago
Subject: [Dragora-users] eSpeakup on Dragora
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2018 13:28:52 -0200

Hello Matias.

After a bit of work, I managed to setup an inetd server on the live
version of dragora 3 in a virtual machine, so I could connect externally to
it using telnet and tried to compile the
eSpeakup dependencies.
It seemed to work, but I could get it to speak only a single time.

Here's what I did (I'm posting it because I think it may help you to create the
build scripts for Dragora).

1. Got portaudio from http://www.portaudio.com/archives/pa_stable_v19_20140130.tgz
cd portaudio
./configure
make
make install

2. Got eSpeak from http://sourceforge.net/projects/espeak/files/espeak/espeak-1.48/espeak-1.48.04-source.zip
The eSpeak compillation was more involved, as I needed to edit the
Makefile to add -Wno-narrowing to make it work with the Dragora GCC compiler.
cd espeak-1.48.04-source/src
mv portaudio19.h portaudio.h
make
make install

3. Got eSpeakup from https://github.com/williamh/espeakup/archive/v0.80.tar.gz
eSpeakup compilled just fine.
cd espeakup
make
make install

4. I've added the espeakup_soft module to the kernel.
modprobe speakup_soft
and then started espeakup
espeakup

I think it didn't work because I started it on an already booted system,
and in the eSpeakup page it says it needs to start when the system
initializes (I'm not too sure why it spoke then).

Hope this helps you a bit, and thank you again for adding the eSpeakup support on Dragora.

PS: eSpeak itself is GPL licensed, but in the manual they say that it can feed text to mbrola voices (which are proprietary software) if the user installs Mbrola and configures eSpeak for that. I think the Trisquel team made a patch to removing this feature.