Re: [Duplicity-talk] some questions (--remove-than-older, --cleanup, --

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] some questions (--remove-than-older, --cleanup, --archive-dir)
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 13:28:02 -0600

Antony wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to figure how how to make --remove-older-than and --cleanup
> option works... duplicity is complaining about an incomplete backup set.
>
> this is my current duplicity command on debian etch...
>
> duplicity --allow-source-mismatch --remove-older-than 2M --cleanup
> --encrypt-key="xxxxx" [source] [target]
>
> After searching this list I found out that --remove-older-than and
> --cleanup should be on a separate command.. but I don't know should I
> use [source] [target] here .. or just [target] ?

Both commands require --force to allow them to actually delete.  You
only need the [target] spec for these commands.

> I started the backup job without --archive-dir, now after reading about
> it, I'd like to use it.. can I just put --archive-dir to the command
> right now?

On the next full backup you can start using it.

> I'm guessing this is what my final backup commands should be:
> duplicity --allow-source-mismatch --archive-dir [dir]
> --encrypt-key="xxxxxx" [source] [target]
> duplicity --allow-source-mismatch --remove-older-than 2M
> --encrypt-key="xxxxxx" [target]
> duplicity --allow-source-mismatch --cleanup --encrypt-key="xxxxxx"
> [source] [target]
>
> also:
> duplicity told me that I need to put --allow-source-mismatch, I did
> change the target url once.. is there a way to remove this?

Target url does not matter.  What must have changed was the source url.
 Source mismatch means you are trying to store two different sources in
the same target.

> Is it ok to run cleanup all the time or just when there is an incomplete
> backup set ?

I run cleanup and remove-older-than before each backup to keep things
clean.  Helps to save space if you're tight.

> I hope it's correct to put all the questions here than to send out more
> than one postings. Thanks a lot for your time.

No problem, hope it helps.

...Ken