Re: [Duplicity-talk] Continuing an interrupted backup.

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Continuing an interrupted backup.
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 15:19:25 -0600

Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
> On Thursday 01 November 2007 15:14:23 Kenneth Loafman wrote:
>> Simpler would be a file like '/path/duplicity-halted' which could be
>> removed in order to restart.  You could also put the error reason in
>> the file itself.  Or, if you do use a socket, you could actually post
>> progress messages to the socket... just a thought.
>
> One thing just struck me: considering that duplicity is Python and Python
> comes with the wonders of pickle, wouldn't it be possible to simply dump all
> state using pickle (for example, if some signal other than SIGTERM or SIGKILL
> is received) and reload it upon restart?

"wonders of pickle" - Not sure about that.  I've used pickle and its OK
for small data sets like keeping persistence in a GUI, but is very slow
for any large data set.

Plus, state in duplicity is scattered all over and would require a
rather large restructuring of error handling to get it manageable.

You've given me an idea though.  Let me sleep on it.

...Ken