Re: [Duplicity-talk] (no subject)

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] (no subject)
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 07:03:52 -0600

Ingrid Lohmann wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I try to recover with
>
> duplicity  --encrypt-key "mykey" --sign-key "mykey"  --file-to-restore
>  root/duplicity/backuptest -v9
>  scp://address@hidden//root/backups/duplicity ~/test
>
> In this case "mykey" is of course not the encryption-key. Can you telle me
> where to find it ? Wich file under duplicity includes the
> encryption-key ? Can I recoder it with mykey (= the expression I put after
> the option --encrypt-key)

Since you're running 0.4.2, some of my answers may have been a bit off.
 Sorry for the confusion.  Duplicity is at 0.4.9 and a lot of changes
have been made since then.

When you recover, the keys do not need to be specified at all.  They are
embedded in the encrypted file.  The keys have to be available to the
user running the restore.  Gpg is available on the command line, so we
can test without running duplicity.

Run this as the same user that you run duplicity.

  $ gpg --list-keys

The "mykey" key should show up in the list.  If not, that user does not
have access to the keyring that contains it.  This happens frequently
when we set up keys as ourselves, then try to use them as root.

One way around this is to use 'sudo' to get to root:

  $ sudo duplicity ...

The second method copies the user keyring to root:

  $ sudo -i
  # mv .gnupg .gnupg-save
  # cp -rp /home/<user>/.gnupg .gnupg
  # chown -R root: .gnupg

Now run the 'gpg --list-keys' and you should see the key and duplicity
should work simply as:

  # duplicity --file-to-restore root/duplicity/backuptest -v9
    scp://address@hidden//root/backups/duplicity ~/test

...Thanks,
...Ken