Re: [Duplicity-talk] Newbie questions...

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Newbie questions...
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 10:54:31 -0600

AJ Weber wrote:
> 1) Do I assume that duplicity will keep all files, regardless of "age",
> unless I periodically clean-them-up with the "remove-older-than" option?

Yes, use the 'remove-older-than' option with the 'cleanup' command.

> 2) WRT backup strategy then, if I choose to create a new full-backup
> every couple of weeks, I understand that I then use
> "remove-all-but-n-full" to remove old full backup-sets AND any old
> incrementals that were based upon them, right?

Correct, old incrementals would be deleted as well.

> 3) Is there any way to make the initial d/l of the signatures file(s)
> more efficient?  If I use archive-dir, and keep a copy of signatures
> locally, will this eliminate that initial requirement to d/l the
> signatures from the target server (and make the process more efficient)?

If you use the archive-dir option, it will be more efficient, yes.

> 4) A "Newbie Guide to Backup and Restore with Duplicity" would be great
> to avoid pitfalls.  I think I need to understand what is required on the
> SOURCE-side to restore, should I lose the local server running the
> duplicity utility.  For example, what keys and passphrases need to be
> backed-up so I could image a minimal linux host in an emergency and
> recover the data from the target host?

You've started a good list for a Newbie FAQ.  Maybe someone could
volunteer to help get one put together (Hint!, Hint!).  The old one is
way out of date.

The keys and passphrases you need to access the remote site and the
backups should be backed up somewhere safe, but not on the source or the
target systems.  A thumb drive comes to mind for this kind of thing.

> Thanks again for all the hard work.  It looks like it's shaping-up to be
> a great, great utility!

Thanks for expressing your appreciation... it helps.

...Ken