[Duplicity-talk] dir limited on ftp server cause problems

From: Olivier Bornet
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] dir limited on ftp server cause problems
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 14:11:45 +0100

Hello,

first thanks for duplicity. It's a very usefull tool.

I'm using duplicity to backup one server to a ftp server, and I'm pretty happy
with it. All the other solutions I have tested wasn't working correctly, mainly
because the ftp server has sometime timeouts. Duplicity handle this very well.
:-)

But it's the second time that I have a problem with duplicity: I lose all the
incremental backups. By loosing, I mean the "duplicity collection" command only
lists the full sets. No more incremental in these sets. :-(

Looking to the ftp server directly, I see the incremental files. So, they are
not loosed. :-)

I have try to find the problem. And I have found it. (I think).
The main problem is that when we list the content of a directory on the ftp
server, it returns only 5000 files. No more. And, of course, the files
duplicity-new-signatures* are not listed if I do "dir". But they are listed if
I do "dir *signatures*".

For quick fix, I have change the default volsize from 5M to 50M, so I will have
10 times less files. But this is not a perfect solution.

Could you look at this problem ? Maybe you could just ask for the *signatures*
files instead of asking for all the files. (or a more complete dir with
"*signatures* *.vol1.* *.manifest").

Thanks in advance for your help.

Have a nice day.

        Olivier