Re: [Duplicity-talk] dir limited on ftp server cause problems

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] dir limited on ftp server cause problems
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 08:18:40 -0600

Olivier Bornet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> first thanks for duplicity. It's a very usefull tool.
>
> I'm using duplicity to backup one server to a ftp server, and I'm pretty happy
> with it. All the other solutions I have tested wasn't working correctly,
> mainly
> because the ftp server has sometime timeouts. Duplicity handle this very well.
> :-)
>
> But it's the second time that I have a problem with duplicity: I lose all the
> incremental backups. By loosing, I mean the "duplicity collection" command
> only
> lists the full sets. No more incremental in these sets. :-(
>
> Looking to the ftp server directly, I see the incremental files. So, they are
> not loosed. :-)
>
> I have try to find the problem. And I have found it. (I think).
> The main problem is that when we list the content of a directory on the ftp
> server, it returns only 5000 files. No more. And, of course, the files
> duplicity-new-signatures* are not listed if I do "dir". But they are listed if
> I do "dir *signatures*".
>
> For quick fix, I have change the default volsize from 5M to 50M, so I will
> have
> 10 times less files. But this is not a perfect solution.
>
> Could you look at this problem ? Maybe you could just ask for the *signatures*
> files instead of asking for all the files. (or a more complete dir with
> "*signatures* *.vol1.* *.manifest").
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

There is a patch for this particular FTP problem:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?6687

I've postponed the implementation until we can move it up a level and
made it accessible to the remainder of the backends.  Your solution to
increase the volsize from 5M to 50M is the workaround I would suggest
using until this is done.

...Ken