Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity with FAT32 backup disk

From: Kennon Ballou
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity with FAT32 backup disk
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:32:41 +0100

By default, duplicity uses volumes of 10mb (I believe). You can specify how large you want the files with --volsize.

If the final tar/gzipped set of volumes is larger than 4gb, then duplicity (well, tar actually) might crap out in the middle after filling up the disk. What does tar do when it runs out of space?

You might try backing up to your hard drive, and then copying over the volume files to your usb stick (or just making sure that you have less than 4gb total backed up.

KB

Eric Lynch wrote:
I would like to use duplicity to backup my home directory to a USB
disk, formatted FAT32.  If I do:

  duplicity $HOME file:///media/usbdisk/target_dir

will I run into problems with FAT32's 4 GB file size limit if $HOME is
larger than 4 GB?  I ask because of the statement on the duplicity
home page that says "Duplicity backs directories by producing
encrypted tar-format volumes...".  Does duplicity create a single tar
file containing the entire backup?

Thanks,
Eric