Re: [Duplicity-talk] Some questions from a new user

From: Simon Ruderich
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Some questions from a new user
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 13:59:38 +0200

On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 10:27:09PM -0700, Michael Lissner wrote:
> Michael Terry wrote on 09/06/2009 08:14 PM:
>> [snip]
>>
>> You can go longer than a month without doing a full backup.  It's a
>> matter of risk tradeoff -- the more full backups you have, the more
>> protected you are if any volume "goes bad" (i.e. hard drive problem)
>> or is deleted.  But they take up more space.
>
> Gotcha. Is there a point when not doing a full backup would start
> bogging down something doing diffs, or something like that?

I think the problem is that if one file in the backup chain
becomes corrupt you can't restore any later backups (not 100%
sure though).

I'm running backups of my computer (about 80GB) and it worked
fine for > 130 incremental backups. But the restore of even a
single file takes a really long time.

> [snip]
>
> This makes me wonder, then, why it's not documented that clean should be
> run after each backup, or why it doesn't happen automatically.

As it only happens when Duplicity is interrupted running it
automatically wouldn't help. And if it was interrupted maybe you
want to check the files so automatically deleting them wouldn't
be a good idea.

> [snip]

Simon
--