Re: [Duplicity-talk] Exclude pattern help?

From: Simon Ruderich
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Exclude pattern help?
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 13:02:40 +0200

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 08:18:51PM -0400, David Rea wrote:
> Hi All-
>
> I've been a happy duplicity user (and advocate) for a couple years now, but
> lately my backups were getting a little bloated. I was looking for a way to
> exclude certain files (like ISOs, e-books, etc.) that can be recovered by
> some other means with relative ease, but not have to munch my
> globbing-filelist every time I wanted to add an exclusion.
>
> What I came up with was to include the string "[[!BU]]" in any filename or
> directory name that I wanted to exclude from the backup, and modify my
> backup command to this:

I tried it with the following command and it worked for me:

    duplicity full --exclude '**[[!BU]]**' source target

> duplicity full -v0 --scp-command 'scp -q' --exclude '**[[!BU]]**'
> --include-globbing-filelist
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> /home/ddr4179/backup/rsync.net-backuplist-20070615.txt --exclude '**' /
                                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> scp://address@hidden/backup_folder 2>&1 | logger -t "backupscript-monthly"

Looks like you're ignoring all files and then adding certain
ones. I didn't try it, but I guess files explicitly added with
--include won't get ignored by --exclude.

> Unfortunately, the --exclude '**[[!BU]]**' seems to only match files that
> contain the no-backup string in their filenames, but not directories. The
> man page says the --exclude pattern will match iff "the file is inside a
> directory matched by the option", but in my case directories with this
> marking (and their contents) are still being backed up.
>
> Also, the 2>&1 | logger... pipe at the end of the command doesn't seem to be
> putting anything in my logs... Did I mess it up?

Works fine for me. It should appear in /var/log/syslog (or
similar).

> Thanks in advance,
> Dave

Hope this helps,