Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity S3 Restore Error

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity S3 Restore Error
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 01:24:25 +0100

On 04.01.2014 00:49, Bob Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to do a restore from an S3 bucket of 904 volumes (25MB each), but
> unfortunately it fails to complete each time I try. Last time, it gave these
> error messages...
>
> /Local and Remote metadata are synchronized, no sync needed.
> Last full backup date: Thu May 30 21:55:02 2013
> Download
> s3+http://salukibob-imagebackups-2012/duplicity-full.20130530T205502Z.vol212.difftar.gpg
>  failed (attempt #1, reason: IncompleteRead: IncompleteRead(
> 0 bytes read, 18488148 more expected))
> Download
> s3+http://salukibob-imagebackups-2012/duplicity-full.20130530T205502Z.vol212.difftar.gpg
>  failed (attempt #2, reason: IncompleteRead: IncompleteRead(
> 0 bytes read, 18488148 more expected))
> Download
> s3+http://salukibob-imagebackups-2012/duplicity-full.20130530T205502Z.vol212.difftar.gpg
>  failed (attempt #3, reason: IncompleteRead: IncompleteRead(
> 0 bytes read, 18488148 more expected))
> Download
> s3+http://salukibob-imagebackups-2012/duplicity-full.20130530T205502Z.vol212.difftar.gpg
>  failed (attempt #4, reason: IncompleteRead: IncompleteRead(
> 0 bytes read, 18488148 more expected))
> Download
> s3+http://salukibob-imagebackups-2012/duplicity-full.20130530T205502Z.vol212.difftar.gpg
>  failed (attempt #5, reason: IncompleteRead: IncompleteRead(
> 0 bytes read, 18488148 more expected))
> Giving up trying to download
> s3+http://salukibob-imagebackups-2012/duplicity-full.20130530T205502Z.vol212.difftar.gpg
>  after 5 attempts
> BackendException: Error downloading
> s3+http://salukibob-imagebackups-2012/duplicity-full.20130530T205502Z.vol212.difftar.gpg/
>
> The duplicity command I have been using is this:
>
> duplicity --force -v8 /s3+http://salukibob-imagebackups-2012/
> /d/files/Pictures/2012/
>
> /This fails everytime at different points during the restore. The first time,
> it failed at volume 212, the second at 483, and the last time I tried, it
> failed at 101 (the --force was added after the first attempt).

first and formost, update to latest stable!

> I've tried increasing the --num-retries, and the --timeout, with no apparent
> help. A 'collection-status' command and 'list-current-files' both show that
> all the files exist correctly in the backup, so I presume the failures are
> just down to network download failure, or perhaps exceeding daily allowances.

what do you mean? 'no apparent help'? it should retry more often.. doesn't it?

> So my question is, how do I complete/continue the restore? And any ideas why
> its failing? The version of duplicity I'm running is 0.6.08 (not easily
> upgraded, as running on a NAS with arm architecture).

1. which nas?
2. where did you get duplicity from in the first place?
3. do you have proper shell access?
4. root?
5. can you install gcc?

if push came to shove you could manually upgrade duplicity, by extracting
latest duplicity and reusing the librsync that your current duplicity is using.

..ede/duply.net