[Duplicity-talk] Duplicity S3 Restore Error

From: Bob Smith
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity S3 Restore Error
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 23:49:37 +0000

Hello,

I'm trying to do a restore from an S3 bucket of 904 volumes (25MB each), but unfortunately it fails to complete each time I try. Last time, it gave these error messages...

Local and Remote metadata are synchronized, no sync needed.
Last full backup date: Thu May 30 21:55:02 2013
Download s3+http://salukibob-imagebackups-2012/duplicity-full.20130530T205502Z.vol212.difftar.gpg failed (attempt #1, reason: IncompleteRead: IncompleteRead(
0 bytes read, 18488148 more expected))
Download s3+http://salukibob-imagebackups-2012/duplicity-full.20130530T205502Z.vol212.difftar.gpg failed (attempt #2, reason: IncompleteRead: IncompleteRead(
0 bytes read, 18488148 more expected))
Download s3+http://salukibob-imagebackups-2012/duplicity-full.20130530T205502Z.vol212.difftar.gpg failed (attempt #3, reason: IncompleteRead: IncompleteRead(
0 bytes read, 18488148 more expected))
Download s3+http://salukibob-imagebackups-2012/duplicity-full.20130530T205502Z.vol212.difftar.gpg failed (attempt #4, reason: IncompleteRead: IncompleteRead(
0 bytes read, 18488148 more expected))
Download s3+http://salukibob-imagebackups-2012/duplicity-full.20130530T205502Z.vol212.difftar.gpg failed (attempt #5, reason: IncompleteRead: IncompleteRead(
0 bytes read, 18488148 more expected))
Giving up trying to download s3+http://salukibob-imagebackups-2012/duplicity-full.20130530T205502Z.vol212.difftar.gpg after 5 attempts
BackendException: Error downloading s3+http://salukibob-imagebackups-2012/duplicity-full.20130530T205502Z.vol212.difftar.gpg

The duplicity command I have been using is this:

duplicity --force -v8 s3+http://salukibob-imagebackups-2012/ /d/files/Pictures/2012/

This fails everytime at different points during the restore. The first time, it failed at volume 212, the second at 483, and the last time I tried, it failed at 101 (the --force was added after the first attempt).

I've tried increasing the --num-retries, and the --timeout, with no apparent help. A 'collection-status' command and 'list-current-files' both show that all the files exist correctly in the backup, so I presume the failures are just down to network download failure, or perhaps exceeding daily allowances.

So my question is, how do I complete/continue the restore? And any ideas why its failing? The version of duplicity I'm running is 0.6.08 (not easily upgraded, as running on a NAS with arm architecture).

Any help gratefully received.

Kind Regards
Rob