Re: [Duplicity-talk] A few Q's about duplicity compared rsync

From: Will McCown
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] A few Q's about duplicity compared rsync
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 17:06:45 -0800

On 1/5/2014 12:40 PM, Pedro Ribeiro wrote:
> Thanks for the response, it is much clearer now.
>
> So how much pain is it to restore a full incremental backup going up
> to a year? Let's say the base is 150GB, and the variance about 1GB a
> month.
> Doing more than one full backup a year is painful, it takes me about 4
> days to upload all the stuff into Google Cloud.

Well my guess is the main pain factor is the total size of the full
backup plus all of the incrementals.  I'd suggest running increments
only for a while (say a month or two) and see how big they are
getting.  I would say you should do a new full backup before the
total size of all of the incrementals exceeds 1/2 to 1 times the
size of the original full backup.  (Meaning a restore is going to
take 1.5 - 2 times as long as just restoring the full backup).

--
Will McCown, Rolling Hills Estates, CA
address@hidden