Re: [Duplicity-talk] Feature request: way to "thin out" old backups....

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Feature request: way to "thin out" old backups....
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 12:45:26 +0100

On 05.01.2014 20:00, Will McCown wrote:
> I'd like a way to thin out my archived backups that is a bit more
> complicated than the facility provided by "remove-older-than",
> "remove-all-but-n-full" and "remove-all-inc-of-but-n-full".
>
> I currently have my backup system set to use "--full-if-older-than 1M"
> to create new full backups every month.  I then also periodically
> run "remove-all-inc-of-but-n-full 2" to discard all the incrementals
> that are more than 2 months old.
>
> But now that I've been doing this for almost two years it time to
> start weeding out the older full backups.
>
> What I would like to do is something like:  For backups more than
> 1 year old, keep only the oldest backup in any given year.
>
> I can, of course, just weed out the old backup sets by hand, but
> even that would take a bit of scripting to do safely.  At the
> least it would be nice to have a command that deleted everything
> associated with a particular timestamp.
>
> Thoughts?

sounds easy enough. you might want to look how the other remove-* functions
work in

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~duplicity-team/duplicity/0.6-series/view/head:/bin/duplicity
and implement it similarly.

i'm not sure yearly is a good way to go here, easier would probably be a
command like
 remove-all-but-n-full-and-every-nth-full
which'd be remove-all-but-n-full plus keeping chains via a second interval
parameter

..ede/duply.net