Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity and put only backend permissions

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity and put only backend permissions
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 11:00:58 +0200

On 23.04.2015 18:13, Christian Saga wrote:
> Hi there,
> I was just thinking about a new setup. Basically allowing duplicity to only
> write new objects to S3 and not allow deletion of old items.
> This would allow me to have the backups secured, in case the server gets
> hijacked.
>
> Do you know if this would pose problems with duplicity?

it should not

>I feel, it is only writing new objects for full and incremental backups to s3.
>Only the purge would delete old versions? If I would turn the purge off, then
>it should work?

the purge would either fail or succeed, but in reality not have done anything
depending of the implementation in the backend code. either way not an issue
according to your write only strategy.

> Or is there any other action, that would need the possibility to change files
> in the backend instead of just uploading?

be aware of interrupted uploads. currently duplicity might try to resume a
backu0p and in turn overwrite a volume on the backend, which would defeat your
purpose.

Ken: what does happen if the upload part during a resumed backup fails? would
duplicity fail but try resuming again on the next run?

..ede/duply.net