Re: [Duplicity-talk] Compression Levels

From: Ben Edwards
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Compression Levels
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 14:51:25 +0100

Thanks.  I have a dual core CPU on the box and when doing full backup it is going to around 50%.  Am I correct in thinking duplicity is only using a single core?  I ask as if it is it would deferentially slow stuff down, if not it may be less of a problem.

Also wondering what the default is and if I do go to max compression, or change type is it likely to make much difference.  I am backing up a mixture of different types of documents but there are quire aw images.

Ben

On 16 June 2016 at 16:11, edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk <address@hidden> wrote:
On 16.06.2016 16:15, Ben Edwards via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> Currently I am doing a encrypted backup and cant find any documentation on
> how to set compression level.  I have seens mention of a COMPRESSION_LEVEL
> arable and --gpg-options but no details.
>
> The drive I am backing up is around 17.4GB and the, backup around 14 so I
> guess I am getting around 25% but wondering if there is a way to save more.

check the gpg man page about supported algos and levels and then add something like

--gpg-options="--compress-algo=bzip2 --bzip2-compress-level=9"

as gpg autodetects the compression while decrypting this parameter shouldn't hurt decompression but have an effect on freshly encrypted files only.

..ede/duply.net