Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity 0.7 slowness

From: Aaron
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity 0.7 slowness
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 09:07:27 +0100

Hello Philip,

Did something significantly change on 0.7?

A lot of things changed between 0.6 and 0.7, mostly for the better! I don't know of anything that should have dramatically increased speed.

we recently upgraded a couple of machines to 0.7.07.1 and it feels
like everything is wayy slower than on 0.6.

We are keen to help you get to the bottom of this, but will need a bit more help to isolate the problem. The more narrow you can make the problem for us, the better. To start with, could you please run an identical command on both versions and tell us what the time difference is? An easy way would be to put your duplicity command into a .sh script and run it on both with "time script.sh".

If there is indeed a difference between the two versions for you, it would be very helpful if you could turn off features one at a time to try to find the simplest command that shows the problem, e.g. if it is writing to/reading from a network location, can you please try using a local folder as the backup file location for the test and see if the problem persists.

If you can then please send us a copy of your backup command, that would help us replicate and hopefully fix the issue.

If anything above isn't clear and you would like more help with any of the steps, please let us know.

Many thanks,

Aaron