Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity 0.7 slowness

From: Philip Jocks
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity 0.7 slowness
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 12:34:38 +0200

Hej Aaron,

thank you for the quick reply.

>> we recently upgraded a couple of machines to 0.7.07.1 and it feels
>> like everything is wayy slower than on 0.6.
>
> We are keen to help you get to the bottom of this, but will need a bit more
> help to isolate the problem. The more narrow you can make the problem for us,
> the better. To start with, could you please run an identical command on both
> versions and tell us what the time difference is? An easy way would be to put
> your duplicity command into a .sh script and run it on both with "time
> script.sh“.

I put both commands in one shell script and time’d them:

0.6: 2.55 real         1.59 user         0.22 sys
0.7: 195.03 real       123.53 user        70.98 sys

The backup set is currently 5 chains, with a full backup consisting of 217,
225, 226, 298, 318 volumes with daily incrementals consisting of about 1-2
volumes.

> If there is indeed a difference between the two versions for you, it would be
> very helpful if you could turn off features one at a time to try to find the
> simplest command that shows the problem, e.g. if it is writing to/reading
> from a network location, can you please try using a local folder as the
> backup file location for the test and see if the problem persists.
>
> If you can then please send us a copy of your backup command, that would help
> us replicate and hopefully fix the issue.

The command is

duplicity collection-status --archive-dir /var/.duply-cache --name duply_zzz
--encrypt-key XXXXXXXX --encrypt-key YYYYYYYY --sign-key XXXXXXXX --verbosity 4
--gpg-options "--pinentry-mode=loopback --compress-algo=bzip2
--bzip2-compress-level=9" --full-if-older-than 1W --volsize 200 --ssh-askpass
sftp://address@hidden/ccc/ddd

This is what duply zzz status --preview returned, so I went with that.
The 195 secs are about what duply returns as a summary at the end: Runtime
00:03:16.000

Any options I should remove?

Cheers,

Philip