dvdrtools-users

RE: [Dvdrtools-users] Reading the data back on a DVD-ROM

From: Pence, Alan
Subject: RE: [Dvdrtools-users] Reading the data back on a DVD-ROM
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 14:48:29 -0500

Mal,

I have no problem reading dvd-r disks written using iso format on windows or
on linux machines.  I am however, keeping my fingers crossed, as the iso
standard was not intended for this many potential files or for this amount
of data, etc. I am quite worried that it will fail on me one day, not
because of the process, but from my data.  If you can read the disk on the
same machine that you burned it on, that is my first question.  Next
question would be, how did you create the image (assuming that you used
mkisofs) and burn it to the disk?  Unfortunately, there are several reasons
for the other drive not to read the disk.

UDF is the newer, replacement format for ISO 9660 (and ISO 9660 with
extensions), and I would prefer to use it.  There are no unix/linux tools
(that I know of) that will write a raw image file (the way that mkisofs
does) with the UDF format.  There are other applications that will write
data to the drive in the UDF format, but none in the open source realm
(unless you are writing to a DVD-RAM or other dvd re-writable format).

I'm creating my iso extended image file in the unix/linux world, and then
coping it over to a windows machine that holds my dvd-r burner.  I use
windows software to burn the disk, but I can then read it in both worlds.

When I win the lottery, I fully intend to sit down and write an app that
will create a UDF image file (in the manner of mkisofs).  And then all we
have to do is write that raw image file to dvd-r.  :) Well, I have to dream.
;)

Cheers,
Alan Pence