dvdrtools-users

[Dvdrtools-users] DVD-R on A03: Linux max file size problem

From: Colin Aspin
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] DVD-R on A03: Linux max file size problem
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 08:50:43 -1000 (HST)

Has anyone any experience with the mkisofs option of splitting the image
size created into maximum 1Gb files to circumvent the maximum Linux file
size (built into the kernel) of a little large than that?  I know I should
modify the kernel to accept up to 5 Gb files but I am not a Linux guru and
don't want to, unless I have to, re-build kernels!  If anyone has the
instructions for such a re-build then I'd appreciate them!

I get the Schilling dvdrecord-pro to write all the files to DVD-R and it
seems to work but I am worried about the inter-file boundary, does the
mkisofs treat that OK e.g. not split files and are the boundaries
unimportant for reading DVD-Rs?

My scripts are below, in case someone finds them useful.

thanks,
colin aspin

--
Colin Aspin Gemini Scientist, Gemini Observatory 670 N A'ohoku Place,
Hilo HI 96720 address@hidden, ph:808-974-2580, fax:808-935-9650

address@hidden ~/bin]$ cat burndvd
#! /bin/csh
#
set usnam = `echo $user`
echo " "
echo "User = $usnam"
echo " "
if ( $usnam == "dataproc") then
else if ( $usnam == "caa") then
else
    echo "Cannot run burndvd as anything other than dataproc"
    goto end
endif
set usdir = `pwd`
echo "Current directory = $usdir"
echo " "
echo -n "Filter for write in current directory (e.g. * or *.fits) : "
set filt = $<
echo " "
echo "Put blank DVD-R into drive on maia, leave drawer OPEN, hit RETURN
when ready"
set misc = $<
echo " "
echo "Making ISO format files, max size of each is 1Gb..."
which mkisofs
mkisofs -split-output -l -r -pad -o /export/data/$usnam/images/dvdimage
./$filt
echo " "
echo "Writing DVD-R ..."
echo " "
which dvdrecord
dvdrecord dev=1,0,0 speed=2 -v -nopad /export/data/$usnam/images/dvdimage*
echo " "
echo "Ejecting DVD-R ..."
echo " "
dvdrecord dev=1,0,0 -eject
echo " "
echo "Removing ISO format files ..."
echo " "
\rm /export/data/$usnam/images/dvdimage*
echo " "
echo "Go collect your DVD-R ..."
echo " "
end: