dvdrtools-users

[Dvdrtools-users] Burning DVD Data

From: Peter Talajic
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Burning DVD Data
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:18:45 -0400

Hello everyone.

I have a requirement to archive data.  DVD provides me convenience, given
4.7 gig (or 4.37 real gig) per DVD-R (general).  This data needs to be read
by various PC-based systems having DVD-ROM drives.  These PCs will have
Windows having various versions: 95, 98, 2000, or NT.

If I use mkisofs and dvdrecord on a Linux box, I can only read the
resulting DVD from the Pioneer A04 which burnt it.  It is not readable
from, say, a DM127D (Cyberdrive Technology) DVD-ROM drive on a Windows 98
machine.  But yet, if I move the A04 to a Windows 98 box and use RecordNow
DX, the resulting DVD-R will be readable by the DM127D from Windows or Linux.

Why is that?

mkisofs was used a number of ways, including UDF and ISO formats.

Thanks.  Peter.