dvdrtools-users

[Dvdrtools-users] Copy DVD to DVD-r...

From: Kris Hermansen
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Copy DVD to DVD-r...
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 01:26:07 -0400

Hey guys. I am not a memeber of this list but I just have a few questions that I was hoping some of you could answer.

1) Is there a way to copy a DVD really quick and dirty? I have this Red Hat 8.0 DVD which is about 3.5 gigs and I want to do a backup of it to a DVD-r. Do I need to use mkisofs or can dvdrecord make an image of the DVD and burn it?

2) Is there a way to do RAW copies of DVD's yet? I heard that software violates the DMCA if it can read/write the CSS codes on the DVD. I have a few DVD video discs that I want to backup, but all my Windows apps say this is an illegal operation and refuse to copy these sectors. So is there a way to do a bit for bit copy? In comparison to CD-r, there should be a way to read the USER DATA + EDC/ECC + SUBCODE = EXACT RAW COPY. Pretty soon we are going to start seeing DVD discs containing anti-copy code to check if these sectors are present. If anyone has some in depth documentation on the CD and DVD format specs please let me know how to get them. I heard that you could purchase these from Sony for an outrageous price, but someone must have these seeing that I am only a lowly college student ;-)

Kris Hermansen

Get faster connections -- switch to MSN Internet Access! http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/default.asp