dvdrtools-users

RE: [Dvdrtools-users] Copy DVD to DVD-r...

From: Scott Prive
Subject: RE: [Dvdrtools-users] Copy DVD to DVD-r...
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:02:18 -0400

DVD-ROM drives are required (by law?) to have hardware-level copy protection.
The copy protection will refuse to copy data which is encrypted. You can't even
copy-it-and-keep-it-encrypted... the drive will refuse to copy, or will return
corrupt data.

The key is to unlock the drive, then decrypt the data. This is required if you
even want to watch the movie using free DVD players, or make a personal backup.

There are DeCSS and "DeCSS-like" tools for Linux that do this. Check
freshmeat.net for libdcss, or good search words.

On the Windows side of things, the toolchain is less geared towards "playback"
and more geared towards "backups", as you might imagine. The tools are
automated and fully functional, and at this point things like DVD Decryptor get
their reputation by making everything "idiot proof".

But no one makes a direct DVD-to-DVD-R backup utility that works like a CD
copy. The DVD data must be cached to hard disk first (unless the DVD is
unencrypted, which is occasionally true). Sadly, even copyright-free movies and
public domain silent-film-era films will be encrypted. :-(

Once it's on the hard drive -- decrypted -- and the file structure is 100%
intact, you can re-burn to DVD-R using "general use" DVD recorders like Pioneer
DVR-104. The whole "authoring recorders" requirement is not accurate.. it's
true that "general use" recorders can't record a CSS playback key, but if your
DVD backup STRIPS out the CSS key, one isn't required for playback on your
"new" DVD.

Of course, the data might not fit since DVD movies can be up to 9.7GB in size.
A lot of kids movies and early DVD transfers (Charlie Brown Christmas,
Breakfast Club) will fit on a 4.7GB DVD-R with no fuss.

If the movie does NOT fit, you can either: 1) split the movie or 2) re-compress
the MPEG video at a higher compression level.

If you don't want to learn and master the all the low-level DVD encoding
techniques, just stick to movie-splitting. With either technique, you'd use
IFOEDIT.EXE (Windows only, not tested in WINE).

The program is not terribly difficult, but being a "swiss army" tool that does
a lot, it gives you enough rope to hang yourself with. If your DVD Video player
supports rewritables, wither backup method will require practice. Info on these
subjects available at vcdhelp.com and doom9.org. Again, most of this info is
Windows centric but you can still learn about the file format, requirements,
etc.

I'm not aware of anything like IFOEDIT on Linux, which is a pity because it's
great free-beer software that does everything but the DVD rip. The author is a
nice guy, and *might* team up with a Linux coder who would keep the source
closed (this is all a personal guess/assumption).

-Scott