dvdrtools-users

[Dvdrtools-users] Newbie (DVD Howto ?)

From: Dominic Baines
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Newbie (DVD Howto ?)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 16:07:47 +0100 (BST)

This is probably a pretty dumb newbie type question
but can't seem to track down the answer I need.

I have a two systems each has either a CDRW or a DVDRW
RedHat 8.0 Installs. Loads of disk, ram etc...

CDRW
 cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.19
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'LG      ' 'CD-RW CED-8120B ' '1.10'
Removable CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

DVDRW
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) 'PIONEER ' 'DVD-RW  DVR-104 ' '1.30'
Removable CD-ROM
        1,1,0   101) *
        1,2,0   102) *
        1,3,0   103) *
        1,4,0   104) *
        1,5,0   105) *
        1,6,0   106) *
        1,7,0   107) *

They are on differnt systems DVD has a SCSI tape in it
so SCSI emulation shunts it to channel 1.

Now what I'd like to know is this...

In the CDRW world I can happily run
mkisofs -o whatever.iso <dir>
cdrecord speed=2 dev=0,0,0 whatever.iso
and it will make CD's without problem.
So I use it for backup jobs on a cron basis.
I cannot find out how to do the same with a
DVD to create a 4.7GB (or close to) image of a
directory stucture.
It seems to complain consistently and cannot make a
DVD with it.
Drive in Windows running NEro works fine so it's
probably a user, kernel or config thing...
The drives are RW's but I use R media at (CD)<15p and
(DVD)£1.05 a time it's not expensive and a great
backup option.

I'd have thought a simple DVD writing howto would be
around somewhere but can't find one.... can anyone
advise ?

Regards,

Dominic