dvdrtools-users

Re: [Dvdrtools-users] What to do with a Nero .nrg image

From: Robert M. Stockmann
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] What to do with a Nero .nrg image
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 03:36:59 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, André Dalle wrote:

> Hi, I have in my filesystem a 4.6GB '.nrg' image, which is apparently
> from Nero Burning Rom.
>
> Is there any software out there to convert .nrg -> .iso so that I
> might burn it with dvdrecord?
>
> An alternative is a program that could read and extract files from
> a Nero image, which I could then re-image with mkisofs.
>
> Well, the last resort would be to take out the Pioneer A04 and install
> it in a Windows machine that could run Nero.

Hi

What i did is install vmware for linux and run a win2k prof guest machine.
Install your Nero version inside that guest OS.

Normally if the Pioneer A04 is secondary master ( /dev/hdc ) it would
probably be likewise connected inside vmware's configuration editor.
But then you get a VMware ATAPI CDROM, which won't be able to burn.
What you do is, remove /dev/hdc from vmware and also make sure
the module ide-cd.o is not loaded, but only ide-scsi.o and sg.o.

With cat /proc/scsi/scsi you can see the Pioneer A04 show up as a scsi
cdrom. Here's an example :

[jackson:stock]:(~)$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IBM      Model: DDYS-T18350N     Rev: S96H
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IBM      Model: DDYS-T18350N     Rev: S93E
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IBM      Model: DDYS-T18350N     Rev: SA2A
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
  Vendor: PLEXTOR  Model: CD-ROM PX-40TS   Rev: 1.13
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
  Vendor: PLEXTOR  Model: CD-R   PX-W1210S Rev: 1.00
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HP       Model: C1130A           Rev: 3614
  Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: PIONEER  Model: DVD-ROM DVD-116  Rev: 1.09
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: PIONEER  Model: DVD-RW  DVR-105  Rev: 1.21
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

In this list the PIONEER  Model: DVD-RW  DVR-105 is the 4th scsi cdrom
player, so that would be /dev/scd3 .

So inside the configuration editor of your vmware guest OS, remove
/dev/hdc from the IDE Drives section.
Then add /dev/scd3 inside the SCSI Devices section as e.g.
SCSI 0:0 CD-ROM(raw access) and choose as name of the device /dev/scd3 .

Inside win2k prof the new SCSI cdrom will show up as your real Pioneer
A04 with all features available, which includes burning. Make sure
to also install the Adaptec ASPI drivers. I did already do this for
the Plextor CD-R PX-W1210S and i was able to burn with cdrwin.
You might have a try with nero.

Robert
--
Robert M. Stockmann - RHCE