dvipng

Re: [Dvipng] does dvipng include the dpi information in its output?

From: Jan-Åke Larsson
Subject: Re: [Dvipng] does dvipng include the dpi information in its output?
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 14:59:06 +0200

Marc Culler skrev 10/15/2012 02:44 PM:
> But of course the size of a reference pixel is configurable by the
> user.  The Ctrl-+ and Ctrl-- keys change the size of a reference
> pixel, and the ability to do that is a key component of web
> accessibility.  The bottom line is that browsers can display 12 point
> type at pretty much any size.  Certainly, as a web designer, you
> cannot assume anything about the size at which a 12 point font will
> be rendered on a screen.

Exactly. And if you ask nicely (say in javascript) what size is used by
the browser, mozilla answers in pixels, while IE answers in screen
points. To convert that to pixels, you need to ask IE again what the
screen dpi is. If you're really really lucky you will get an accurate
answer (and not some irrelevant default).

You need to load different images for different sizes used by the browser.

Now all you have to handle is the vertical alignment. Last I looked this
was different in IE, mozilla and probably opera and safari... It was
also broken, in different ways in different versions of the browsers.
There is a good reason for the wish for good luck in the manual.

Have you looked at mathjax?
/JÅ