dvipng

Re: [Dvipng] does dvipng include the dpi information in its output?

From: jfbu
Subject: Re: [Dvipng] does dvipng include the dpi information in its output?
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 15:18:24 +0200

le 15/10/2012 14:44 selon Marc Culler:
>    "The reference pixel is the visual angle of one pixel on a device
>    with a pixel density of 96dpi and a distance from the reader of an
>    arm's length. For a nominal arm's length of 28 inches, the visual
>    angle is therefore about 0.0213 degrees. For reading at arm's
>    length, 1px thus corresponds to about 0.26 mm (1/96 inch)."
>
> [ http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-values/#absolute-lengths ]

So a pixel is a solid angle, what a completely abysmal definition!

my computer tells me its screen has W times H pixels and these
are not solid angles!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

... hard for me to understand the motivations behind that
amazing CSS3 definition!

thanks for the info! this opens the veil for me on the
wild world of web design; which after all is know dominated
by money and not by the spirit of the metric system from
the French Revolution!

best regards,

Jean-François